On Friday, about 20,000 relatives, friends, and fans gathered in Atlanta's State Farm Arena to commemorate the late Migos rapper's life and legacy during his "Celebration of Life." The memorial began just after noon and lasted several hours, with poignant tributes by Quavo, Offset, and Drake, as well as performances by Justin Bieber, Chlöe Bailey, and Yolanda Adams.
Drake, who postponed his Apollo show in honor of Takeoff, reminisced on his 2018 "Aubrey & the Three Migos Tour" with Migos. He compared their camaraderie to the infamous Rat Pack and claimed he "loved" this when Takeoff would remove his sunglasses and squint his eyes, despite the fact that his eyes were wide open.
Drake gives a speech at Takeoff’s memorial service 🙏🕊 pic.twitter.com/oPhFCcLkIG— WhatsOnRap (@whatsonrap) November 12, 2022
Quavo recalled their unbreakable friendship since infancy. "You were always with me and we did everything together. Since we was kids, you’ve been by my side, looking up at me with them eyes," he remarked of his nephew. "You never competed with me. We were always on the same team ’cause you hated playing against me ’cause I always played too hard or too rough."
Offset allegedly got worked up during his emotional address, in which he apologized to Takeoff and stated that he wanted to focus on brotherhood and family. Prior to Takeoff's death, the gang had a falling out.
🚨 Quavo gives his speech at Take Off Funeral services— WhatsOnRap (@whatsonrap) November 12, 2022
RIP Takeoff 🕊️ pic.twitter.com/hAtmI0sznx
He also attributed Migos' flow to Takeoff, saying it will "alter the culture of music forever." "Take, you did it. You altered the flow. "That flow was created by Take, the creator," he continued, wiping back tears.
🚨 Reported that Offset apologized to Take Off during his Funeral speech— WhatsOnRap (@whatsonrap) November 12, 2022
They both said they wanted to focus on brotherhood and family. Offset speech was so emotional he could barely get anything out. 🕊️ 💔
Full Story Link In Bio. pic.twitter.com/kFsVnUqbVp
Offset emotionally breaks down during his speech at Takeoff’s funeral 😢 pic.twitter.com/CQqiPdC7Fk— WhatsOnRap (@whatsonrap) November 12, 2022
Justin Bieber sang "Ghost" acoustically, and Chlöe Bailey covered Beyoncé's "Heaven." Alicia Keys had been scheduled to perform, however, she did not appear on stage. Cardi B, City Girls, Lil Yachty, and Teyana Taylor were also present.
Takeoff also earned posthumous recognition from his birthplace, when Atlanta Mayor Andre Dickens bestowed the Phoenix Award, the city's highest honor, on him.
- The members of Migos and Cardi B were seen publicly after attending Takeoff’s wake last night.
- Cardi B, Quavo, and Offset have been spotted for the first time since Takeoff’s tragic passing on 1 November.
- The three rappers were seen dressed in black as they attended the late Migos star’s wake on Thursday night (10 November).
- Takeoff’s funeral is due to take place this Friday, with stars such as Justin Bieber and Alicia Keys set to perform.
- Quavo and Offset had a falling out earlier this year but were seen with Offset’s wife and rapper Cardi B as they joined other family members to celebrate Takeoff’s life.
- The reunion comes just a day before Takeoff’s funeral, which will take place in Atlanta’s State Farm Arena, in pictures obtained by this magazine.
- 20,000 people are set to gather for the memorial service, which will include performances from Justin Bieber and other musicians.
- Rapper Drake has canceled his upcoming New York concerts this weekend in order to pay respect to Tαkeoff.
- The rapper was only 28 when he was shot and killed earlier this month.
- Houston Police have opened an investigation into the rapper’s death, which was ruled as a homicide.
- Tαkeoff, Quavo and Offset formed Migos in 2008, and released hits such as ‘Stir Fry’ and ‘Bad and Boujee’.
- Offset paid tribute to Tαkeoff by changing his profile picture to the late rapper, and Cardi B retweeted a video of Takeoff speaking about the importance of family.
- Quavo, who was with the rapper when he was killed, is yet to publicly address Takeoff’s tragic death.