Tory Lanez has posted an open letter written to Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascón, professing that he was not guilty in the killing of Megan Thee Stallion before his hearing next month in an attempt to secure a fresh trial.
"Today, I take a stance as an innocent Black man, wrongfully convicted of a crime I did not commit," Lanez said in the letter, which was uploaded on Instagram.
“I’ve watched 2 district attorneys from your office by the names of Kathy Ta and Alex Bott unlawfully misuse their authority to hide and suppress any and all exculpatory evidence that exonerates me, or furthers my innocence. I was completely robbed and deprived of a fair trial.”
Lanez will demonstrate a petition for a fresh trial on May 8. He alleges that the prosecution "manipulated a false narrative" against him, leaving him "with no choice but to expose and make aware, the practices, behind the door deals, and unjust system" that he feels "illegally" convicted him. In the caption, he implied that the prosecution purposefully obscured evidence.
He said that he is challenging the conviction not just for himself, but also for his 6-year-old child, family, fans, and others. “most importantly the hundreds of thousands of Black and Hispanic minorities that cannot adequately fight for themselves.”
Lanez ended the letter by requesting Gascón to rethink the judgment. "Mr. Gascón, I come to you today as a wrongfully convicted man, not asking for sympathy, nor compassion, but for you to simply do what is fair and right by the laws of California, and most importantly in the eyes of God," he wrote.
Tory Lanez just made an IG post declaring his innocence in his case with the shooting of Megan Thee Stallion. He has also confirmed that on May 8th his attorneys will be arguing his case for a new trial & more… 👀‼️ pic.twitter.com/qH8TAMkkrQ— WhatsOnRap (@whatsonrap) April 21, 2023
Lanez and his team of lawyers submitted a motion to have the allegations against him dismissed last month. In December, he was found guilty of assault with a semiautomatic firearm, concealing and loading a handgun in a vehicle, and discharge of a firearm with gross negligence. Lanez hasn't been convicted yet, but he faces up to 22 years in jail.